Friday, January 27, 2017

Beyond the Walls

It was in  July- August 1981 that I visited (West) Germany for the first time as a participant of Indo- German CE retreat. I was in the first year of training as clinical psychologist at the National Institute of Mental Health And Nuero Sciences ( NIMHANS) when I got the invitation. We were 20 young people from different walks of life and from different states of India and stayed at Kassel for about 10 days.  After that, we parted our ways to live with German families to learn about the German way of life. I was fortunate to live in the country side of Diedorf, visiting different  places of attraction in and around and attending the local retreat groups who were preparing for an international convention. I had great time learning about the style of living in the then West Germany and the host family  gave me diverse exposure to German life. They planned different trips for me  and took me with them to travel beyond Hamburg upto Lenshan in the North. But for the travel restrictions existed at that time for those with Indian passport, they would have  taken me to Denmark too, to give an exposure of yet another country. 
During the 35 days that I lived in Germany,I learned a lot. How the ‘West Germany' which was devastated following the World War II could become a developed country within a short span of time by the hard work and the support from the international community was one of them. I realized how important it is for all people to be conscious in keeping the public places clean.  Once while traveling in the high way, I was about to throw an apple node onto the road but the host family members 'cared' to keep that in the car till we reached the nearest ‘austanoff’.  Less population aiding the people of the nation to share more wealth was a lesson that the developing nations need to follow and requires keeping a strict vigil on the growth of the population.  
Though I had enriching and diverse experience being in (West) Germany, I felt bad that I could not see the “Wall” . The host family informed that it was in their plan to take me to the border between the West and the East. At length they spoke about the people on the other side, the East Germany. I am still at dark about the issues involved, but was informed that I could not go to see the ‘Wall’. Not sure whether that it was unsafe for me to be there or whether the host family could be put into trouble if I am taken there. But what resounded in me was what the head of the host family manage to state in English, “Sam, the people... on this side... and on the other side... ( pointing towards East) have the same blood. One day we will become one !” I did not believe him then. How is it possible? Back home in India, I saw another country being carved out in the Eastern region of our country. We have the people  with the 'same blood and religion' on both sides of the borders on the East and West, and we were raising ‘fences’ along the borders.
He was not very fluent in English nor his wife, who would explain to me simple things in English translating them from German using a pocket dictionary which she was carrying all the time since I joined the family. Their children and his mother were a happy family. The joint family was again a surprise for me, since I did not imagine that there could be extended families in Germany. In 1989, within 8 years, the belief and hope of my hosts that those on both sides are 'one' became a reality. In 1995 when I visited Frankfurt, I wanted to visit the family again to share the joy that his prophetic words have come true. But I was informed not to venture into that geographical area. Still a mystery, why I cannot go near the border again. I told this to a couple of German friends who attended an International Gestalt therapy conference which I attended in France in 1995. And they asked,   “You said that you were at Diedorf in 1981? Are you joking? They too did not illuminate me on why they could not believe that I lived in Diedorf  in 1981.

When I visited again in 2008, I travelled to Berlin by train from Frankfurt and I could not find the wall. Where is the wall? I searched hard to find the reminiscence of the wall and the difference. But for the graffiti,I could not differentiate that I had crossed over to the other side of the wall. Much water has flown and it appeared that the differences that existed on either side of the wall melted out. (Wrote in 2008 ) 
Twenty eight years after breaking the wall political leadership is thinking of constructing walls in a 'great country'. Probably if I happen to visit Mexico, I may not be able to go near the wall that borders America. (Added on 26 January, 2017)


5 comments:

RobertNelson said...

Interesting Article. Hoping that you will continue posting an article having a useful information. Psychologist Tingalpa

unknown said...

Depression is the persistent feeling of sadness, loss of interest, and anger towards things while the main cause may not be directly visible on the surface level. While it is normal to feel sad, lose interests in things, and even experience extreme anger, the persistence of these feelings may lead to clinical depression or major depressive episodes.

Online Counselling For Depression Get the best treatment for depression, fear, anxiety, relationship counseling, spiritual growth, midlife crises, stress, divorce, and more from Mental Strength Professionals.Mental Strength professionals work with you to develop a vital trait in your personality. Mental toughness is that inner quality that enables you to build the mental muscle

unknown said...

Memory care refers to the specialized care provided by dementia-trained staff to people living with dementia and Alzheimer’s . Find out more about Visit our website to know more...Complete Guide To Memory Care For Seniors.

unknown said...

Memory loss can either be short-term or long-term. Short-term memory is the brain’s way of storing tiny bits of information that it has just taken in. If you notice your senior loved one forgetting things they recently saw, heard, or did, they may be suffering from short-term memory loss. What you need to know about More information 10 Causes Of Memory Loss

Niraj said...

There are reversible and irreversible causes of long-term memory loss. Some of the reversible causes like Stress, Vitamin B-12 deficiency, Hydrocephalus, demantia.

A significant cause of long-term memory loss is brain damage, which is generally not reversible. However, symptoms from the condition may improve, especially with early medical intervention. Additional Causes of long-memory loss are Substance abuse, Brain tumors and infections, Stroke, Severe seizures.